Pin This!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Antiperspirant

Antiperspirant has been the one product that I have had a really hard time giving up.  Yes, I know that there is aluminum in all of it.  Yes, I know that it's really bad for you.  Yes, yes yes...  That being said, especially in an environment that has an average of 472% humidity, I'm sweaty all the time!  So sue me, I hate having wet armpits and then sweat stains on my shirts.  

Yes, there are "organic" deodorants that I could buy for $8 per container.  They seem to come in two scents: hippie BO, and essential oil scented hippie BO.  In other words, they don't work.  Whatever oils they seem to put in them seem to smell like cardboard, which when mixed with sweat, just smells gross.  Other kinds don't use oils and just sell you a $10 salt lick to rub on your pits.  I never found that they worked...at all...and anyway, they're mostly deodorants, not antiperspirants. 

Well, I found a recipe for homemade antiperspirant and decided to give it a whirl!  What do you need?
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (yes, that bag is arrowroot powder...not cocaine)
6-8 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 - 1 Tbsp olive oil (or grapeseed oil)
Essential oil (if you want it to smell like something other than coconut)

I cleaned out one of JR's old pomade containers (I think it's called Surf Head) and it was the perfect size to hold the whole recipe.

Whisk together the baking soda and arrowroot (or cornstarch).  Add the coconut oil and mix well (I used the whisk on my hand mixer, which is infinitely easier).  Add in olive (or grapeseed) oil and optional essential oil.  Once fluffy, transfer to any airtight container.

A quick note:  This is the consistency of a body cream.  There is no putting it in deodorant applicator containers or any of that.  You put it on your armpits like a lotion (I actually like it better).  You only need very little.  Experiment and see what works for you!

Happy De-Stinking!
 

5 comments:

  1. LOL. I like the "not cocaine" clarification! I was a bit worried about that one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Do you think adding a beeswax or candellila wax might stiffen it enought to put into a roll up container?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it probably would. What I have seen in the last few weeks: if it's kept in a cool area (under 75 degrees or so), it seems to harden up a little by itself. Possibly hard enough for a roll-up container; however, I would probably try it with the beeswax and just melt everything together (and stir in the powder ingredients after all the wet ingredients are melted). You'll want it to be well-integrated, otherwise the ingredients will separate in the container. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Are you still using this? do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I occasionally use this still. I actually LOVE it (and it's the only thing my husband will use now), but I seem to be a bit sensitive to the bakingn soda in it.

      Delete